Camden Pet Hospital provides a full range of preventive care services to help your cat live a longer, happier life and increase the odds of detecting problems early.
Our veterinarians make their annual preventive care recommendations based on guidelines established by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) and the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). We then customize our recommendations based on your cat's hereditary factors, age, medical history, and lifestyle.
Annual preventive care for cats typically includes:
- At least one annual physical exam that includes assessing a complete medical history and behavior, making nutrition recommendations, and reviewing any existing medical conditions.
During the exam, our doctors will perform a(n):
- Ear and eye examination
- Analysis of the heart and lungs
- Temperature reading
- Abdominal Palpation
- Dental exam
- Dermatological exam
- Musculoskeletal evaluation
- Core vaccines, including rabies and distemper. For outdoor cats, we might also recommend the feline leukemia (FeLV) vaccine.
- Medications to control parasites, including heartworms, intestinal parasites (like roundworms), fleas, and ticks. Using parasite control products protects your cat and your family members from transmittable diseases.
- Diagnostic testing for feline leukemia (FeLV), feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), heartworms, and other internal parasites. We also test for early-stage diseases that cannot be detected during a physical exam.