Camden Pet Hospital provides a full range of preventive care services to help your dog live a longer, happier life and increase the odds of detecting problems early.
Our veterinarians make their annual preventive care recommendations based on guidelines established by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). We then customize our recommendations based on your dog's hereditary factors, age, medical history, and lifestyle.
Annual preventive care for dogs typically includes:
- At least one annual physical exam that includes assessing a complete medical history and behavior, making nutrition recommendations, and reviewing any existing medical conditions.
During the exam, our doctors will perform a(n):
- Ear and eye examination
- Analysis of the heart and lungs
- Temperature reading
- Abdominal Palpation
- Dental exam
- Dermatological exam
- Musculoskeletal evaluation
- Vaccines based on your dog's lifestyle and/or breed. Core vaccines include rabies, distemper, and Leptospirosis. We may also recommend additional vaccines, such as Lyme, Bordetella (kennel cough), and canine influenza.
- Medications to control parasites, including heartworms, intestinal parasites (like roundworms), fleas, and ticks. Using parasite control products protects your dog and your family members from transmittable diseases.
- Diagnostic testing to confirm the absence of heartworms or other internal parasites and early disease screening tests to help identify any internal issues which cannot be detected during a thorough physical exam.